The Hong Kong Quality Migrant Admission (QMAS) is a program for immigrants with high skills. The fresh highly skilled candidates can apply for this program. Hong Kong invites these immigrants with the view of enhancing the economy of the country. These immigrants thus can apply for employment opportunities or start their business projects. Out of all the applicants, the successful candidates also have the opportunity to take their spouse and children dependent along with them. The condition for dependent children is that they should be less than 18 years of age and need financial support from their parents.
Quality Migrant Admission Scheme (QMAS)
- Entrant quota-based scheme to attract highly skilled and talented people
- Meet a set of Pre-requites
- Pass Points test-either General OR Achievement
- High scoring applications are selected in a selection exercise for further assessment by the HK Department of Immigration within a quarterly quota
- Approval-in-Principal Letter issued for Interview in HK
- Attend Interview with original documents to verify
- Entry Visa / Work Permit granted for one year
- Apply for an extension of stay within four weeks before the expiry of entry visa/work permit if intend to continue residence in Hong Kong.
- Upon completion of a continuous period of ordinary residence in Hong Kong for not less than seven years, the admitted person and/or his/her dependants under the General Points Test or the Achievement-based Points Test of the Scheme may apply for the right of abode in Hong Kong in accordance with the laws.
- No application fee is chargeable upon application submission.
Individuals who wish to come to Hong Kong under the Quality Migrant Admission must satisfy the below prerequisites:
- Point-based Test: Prevailing minimum passing mark is 80.
- Age: 18years or above.
- Financial requirement: Capable of supporting and accommodating he/she and his /her dependants, on his/her financial resources without relying on public assistance during the stay in Hong Kong.
- Good character: No criminal record or adverse immigration record in Hong Kong or elsewhere
- Language proficiency: IELTS – Overall 6.5 or should be proficient in written and spoken English or Chinese (Putonghua or Cantonese).
- Qualification: Good education background, normally a first degree from a recognized university or a tertiary educational institution.
- National: The Scheme does not apply to nationals of Afghanistan, Cambodia, Cuba, Laos, Korea (Democratic People’s Republic of), Nepal, and Vietnam.
- Eligibility for further Extension: He/she has settled in Hong Kong; has contributed to Hong Kong, such as engaging in a graduate, specialist, or senior level gainful employment or establishing a business of a reasonable size in Hong Kong.
Points Based Test
In addition to meeting all Pre-Requisites, applicants have to pass any one of the points-based test: General Points Based Test OR Achievement Points Based Test
- General Points Based Test is based on
- Academic Qualifications
- Work Experience
- Language Proficiency
- Family Background
- Minimum pass mark: 80 points out of 165
- Achievement Based Points Test
- For those with Exceptional Talent
- For those with Outstanding Skills
- For those who have won state / national/international awards
- For those who have made a significant contribution to their field
- Points awarded 165 or 0